My humble little abode

My humble little abode

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

After Thailand Experience

Well I had a little bit of an adventure when I got back from Thailand! The first day after we got back my stomach started to feel a bit sick and then it just kept getting progressively worse. Now this is my story so I am going to tell you what I think, so here it goes. For breakfast that first day I woke up and had breakfast as usual, I grabbed some cantaloupe and started to eat it but I thought it had a really funny, as in bad taste, so I decided not to eat any more of it. Then later that day I felt a little sick but not too much. However that night became the worse night aboard the ship ever. I don’t remember how many times I got up anymore, but I know I got up more than 6 times to throw up. It was really horrible and I felt so bad. I went to the clinic the next morning and they gave me some medicine and told me to just try and rest the rest of the day and see how I felt. So I laid in bed all day and the only times I got up were to throw up some more. That night I had the same horriable evening again and I just could not stop throwing up and it got to the point that (for those of you who are grossed out easy don’t read this part J) I had nothing else left in me and all I was throwing up was this dark green bile that the nurse said was from my gallbladder because that was the only fluid that I had left!

I barely made it back to the hospital the next morning and I have never felt so bad in my life. The nurse quickly put me in one of the ICU rooms and through the course of the morning I was given 6 bags of IV fluids and a shot of something really strong in my hip! Crazy hunh! About lunch time I was hydrated enough that I was able to leave and because I was so sick they put me in isolation. Let me tell you isolation is no fun. I had to get the essential thing I needed and I was had to move to the 2nd deck and I got my very own private room were I was not allowed to leave and not have any visitors.

The stewards would bring me meals which consisted of plain white toasted toast, plain pasta/ plain white rice and a broth of some sort. I was told to spend the rest of the day there and try and keep some food down since I had not eaten in 3 days and come back in the morning. I went back in the morning and I still did not feel completely better so back I went into isolation for another day! I then went back the next morning again (which was the day before we got to India, so I was doing everything in my power to feel better so I could get off the ship) and I had a temperature of 104.5 even though I felt completely better. They told me I had to go back to isolation until I could get my temperature down and then we would see. I finally was able to get it down by mid afternoon, so I became a free woman!

So it was a very interesting six days, which 3 of the days were spent in isolation and 2 days very sick. Never the less but I did end up losing a lot of weight because of it! But unfortunately I have gained it all back since then!

I personally think I got sick from that cantaloupe that I had on the ship because the piece that I ate did not seem good at all. Also because the very last day I was in Thailand I did not eat a thing and I just had three cups of coffee so I don’t think I could have gotten that sick and had the virus wait a whole day before I got really sick. However the doctor says that I must have gotten sick from the coffee because if it was the cantaloupe she would have seen other cases of that on the ship because I would not have been the only one who would have ate it.
So yeah just thought I would let you all know, but all better now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness pikki!!!
that sounds like hell for you =[
i am really happy you got better tho!! i cant not even wait for you to come home! everyone here misses you sooo freakin much dude!
and i love all of your picyures:)
well i love you with all of my heart <3
(and some of my gall bladder, since yours lost some juice)
hahahaha

-stikki