My humble little abode

My humble little abode

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hong Kong







I am in love with Hong Kong, not even joking! I have already made up my mind that I am going to liver here someday because it is just an amazing city. When we got back from Beijing that night and I walked into my room, I had the most amazing view of the city…and I could see it all from my bed! We literally docked in the middle of the city, right downtown. That night after going back to the ship I dropped sleepy head Kristen in her room and went out with some friends to find some dinner. We found this little pizza joint that had a good bar menu too. I think one of my new drinks now is a Vodka tonic! There is some crazy night life in Hong Kong, there is even this street that is full of bars and clubs (which is where the whole rest of the ship went to go party, which we all heard about after we let because I guess a lot of people did some stupid stuff there and “set a bad name” for semester at sea!) So Jeff and I decided that we did not want to go party so we went to 7-11 and bought a bottle of red wine and found a comfy little spot by the harbor and enjoyed our wine and the beautiful cityscape.


Two days in Hong Kong was definitely not enough time at all. The first day Kristen, Leila and I just went on our own tour of the city. It is a huge city that has everything in it. We started off by getting some Starbucks to get our lazy butts motivated because we were all really tired.

(Side note: For some reason or not Kristen and I always seem to find the biggest mall in every port we have been to, Japan, Hawaii, China… you name it. Kristen and I are so not mall girls and we don’t even spend time in malls at home so we have no idea why we keep finding them everywhere we go.)

Anyways, we found the mall in Hong Kong (by accident, like always) and walked around in there for awhile because it was raining outside (like always!!!) but then we said “what the heck its just water” so we went out and walked around. Hong Kong has an amazing skyline but one of the most striking buildings which is the tallest as well, is the Hong Kong Monetary Authority Building. They allow visitors to go up to the 55th floor out of the total 80 stories. The view from up there was amazing and you could see forever. Our ship looked so little compared to all the massive buildings.

One of the nice things about Hong Kong is it is an international city and there are people her from all over the world and a lot of them speak English which makes getting around really nice. We ended up just walking around everywhere and then later on we took a sky tram that takes you up this mountain near the city where there is a mall on top, go figure! We talked to some people and they said that going to the mall when you have some free time is the thing to do, so really we were doing the “thing to do.”

We had some lun-ner, then went to the Jade market. There were hundreds of little stalls selling all sorts of jewelry and chess sets and little odds and ends. It was fun to be in there but the people were not as willing to bargain as much as people in other countries had been. After the Jade market we went to the night market to see what they had there. It was both a selling of little trinkets market and food market. They had lot of fish stalls that sold all sorts of crazy fishy things. They had sea cucumbers you could buy and even fish cut half open with their heart still beating so you could tell that the fish was fresh!

It took Kristen and I forever to find the ship that night but we made it back before dock time! So we went up on the top deck with the whole rest of the ship to watch us leave port and it was amazing. Hong Kong is just amazing and I am so excited to come back here someday!

No comments: